Schedule - PGConf.EU 2023
Making your patch more committable
Getting a patch committed in Postgres can be difficult. If you've ever written a patch that's "stalled out" on the mailing list, then this talk is for you!
In this talk, I'll provide concrete ideas for how you can increase the committability of your patch and make it more likely to end up a PostgreSQL feature. And I'll provide similarly concrete ideas for what committers and senior contributors can do to improve the state of patches sent to the mailing list.
I'll explain how to:
- Communicate the state of a patch
- Solicit (and provide) the feedback required to move a patch forward
- Design correct, minimal, fast, and stable tests
- Design correct performance tests and communicate their results
- Break up large patches into smaller, independently committable pieces